In the words of the ladies from Montrose + George, “It is so lovely to see people out + about this morning amidst all the uncertainty. People who are choosing kindness and calm over panic and fear. People who are choosing to support their local shops and small businesses. Thank you + know that it doesn’t go unnoticed.”
There are a number of ways you can support your favourite small businesses during this unsure time and we think the folks at Spruce Collective shared some great tips!
- Pay with Debit | Credit cards charge business owners fees on top of what you pay. The higher the points, the higher the fees.
- Order Ahead | Call, order and pay for items by phone….this is great for restaurants and we are sure your favourite shops would be happy to meet you at the front door with your purchases too!
- Buy Local Food | Focus on purchasing local produce, meat, baked goods and coffee beans from local markets, bakeries and coffee shops. Farmers are going to feel the pinch too.
- Gift Cards | Buy gift cards from local businesses to spend or give later
- Social Media | Show your favourite small shops some love on social media! Share posts, comment away and tag them in your pictures. Show your friends and family how much you love their products!
Here’s what the BC Medical Officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry had to say yesterday: “There are many things we can do. We are not talking about shutting down society here. We are still very safe today in BC, all across BC, to go out, to go shopping, to go to restaurants and in particular we have a lot of things we can do outdoors which are very safe things to do. This virus does not transmit when people are outdoors so go outside and play with your family…go out and experience what we have in British Columbia right now.”
Go outside and soak up the sunshine. Wash your hands often. If you are sick, stay home and be considerate of those around you. And support your local small businesses in whatever way you can!